(Inspired by Garden & Gun Green Tomato Pie Recipe)
Our family celebrated the 4th of July at the lake this year, and we made this AMAZING tomato pie. We adapted the recipe by using red and green tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and star pie crust cut outs! The addition of the star pie crusts made it so festive and fun, and it would be perfect for Labor Day too.
- 5 tomatoes sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¾ cup Duke’s Mayo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
FLAKY PIE DOUGH:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Duke’s Mayo
- ¼ cup cold water
- Arrange tomato slices on a paper towel and season with salt. Let sit for an hour. Pat tomatoes dry.
- Make pie dough. Pulse the flour, salt, and mayo in a food processor until crumbly. Gradually add cold water and pulse until dough comes together. Shape into a disk and let sit at room temp for 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 375 & roll dough to a ¼ inch thick round. Fit into a 9-inch platter and prick with a fork. Fill with parchment paper and dried beans and bake for 18 minutes or until baked through. Reduce oven to 350
- Stir cheese, mayo, garlic, basil, parsley, chives, and pepper into a bowl
- Layer ⅓ of the tomatoes in a single layer and top with half the cheese mixture. Repeat layers & top with remaining tomatoes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly - let rest 10 minutes before serving.